Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Shack by William P. Young

A controversial book, I initially didn't want to read this because Christians told me it was bad theology.  But, I feel secure enough in my beliefs that I decided to take the risk.  What it boiled down to, for me, is yes ... there are incorrect theological ideas and yes, there are some great ideas that we should be following.

I didn't think it was particularly the best writing I've ever read.  Needed a better editing job.  However, it kept my interest although the middlish parts got a little long.

I thought it spoke very well in talking about reconciliation with God after a horrible tragedy in your human life.  It also dealt very well with the fact that God wants a relationship with us.  He demonstrates that interestingly through the relationship between Jesus, Sarayu, and Papa.  I actually liked the human qualities the writer associates with the 3.  Many fictional accounts of biblical characters do the same.

I did not like that the writer seems to make God's word (the Bible) to be just another way He speaks, along with nature, animals, etc.  He mentions that God doesn't punish sin; that sin is its own punishment, eating us from the outside in.  But God DOES hate sin.

Read this book if you think it's a fictionalized version of encountering God; don't read it if you want accurate doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment